Harness is the modern software delivery platform that leverages AI and ML to simplify DevOps processes, from code commit all the way through to production.
In this episode of 2023 Predictions, Field CTO Nick Durkin shares his forecast for the industry this new year.
In 2023, Durkin predicts:
- An increase in the measurement and recognition of developer effectiveness, i.e., giving top-performing teams a way to show that their performance is considered outstanding.
- The rise of platform engineering.
- AI and ML taking over the worst parts of an engineer’s job, e.g., babysitting deployments, waiting for tests to run, bringing production up/down as needed.
Harness will continue to focus on making lives easier for developers and engineers by empowering:
- Security teams to write rules.
- Operations teams or Infrastructure teams to define where things can land.
- DevOps teams to write pipelines and the templates that people can use to get to production
empowering Engineers to never see a platform. The only time they should see one is when something goes wrong. When something does go wrong, the platform should be able to give them every information they need to resolve it.
- All of the teams above to work together and reduce infighting.
The current economic downturn challenges companies to look for efficiencies. A recent survey within Harness showed that 59% of engineers were spending less than 3 hours a day writing code; the rest of their time was spent on other tasks. The challenge is to ensure their people are doing what they are good at, 100% of the time.